Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Texas Love


I think that one thing that college has done has increased my love for my home state. Mississippi is great and all, but there’s something intoxicating about knowing I’ll soon be home for a visit. I soak up every minute I can while home.
I guess there’s just something about Texas that makes me feel at home… and it’s more than the fact that it’s where I was born & raised. Everything just seems clearer/brighter/fresher there. I love being outside & taking pictures of the awesome landscape. I love the way that things are different there. I love living out in the country, where things are especially different. We have our own practices & customs that outsiders just don’t understand.
I don’t think there’s anything prettier than seeing a Texas sunset when you’re driving down the highway and there’s nothing else around. Or when you’re at a small pond out in the middle of nowhere, with a couple friends or family members and all you can hear is the sounds of nature around you. Or even when you pass by a pasture and see horses or cows grazing. It just sets my heart at peace. One of my absolute favorite things to do when I owned my own horses was to go out during fall and sit on the big round bale of hay and just watch them eat and take in the smells around me. I seriously don’t think there’s a better smell than a horse. I know some people don’t like it, but there’s something about wrapping your arms around a horse’s neck and just smelling him and hearing the noises his heart beat makes and the sound of him chewing. That’s probably what I miss the most from not having my own horses anymore.
Anyways, I was looking around different websites the other day and found this tumblr. It’s full of funny little icons that are all about “you know you’re a Texan when…” I figured I’d share a couple with you. All of the ones she makes can be found HERE

 So true, especially since it's mom's favorite! I never realized how much of a Texas thing it is until I moved to Mississippi!
 Again, SO TRUE! I have a wish list full of different boots I want. :)
 Yep! This definitely happened this summer.
 These next three are SO true, especially for my family. It kinda comes with the whole "My dad's a coach & my brother plays" thing, too. It's pretty much impossible to get away from!
 and I miss it so much!
I know that mom would especially agree with this one! haha!
 of course! you mean, not everyone does that?
 Haha! This actually happened to me my freshman year here at State... and I didn't think I'd have a problem with it since I'm going to school in Mississippi!
 It was a sad day when no one here knew what I was talking about... it's surprisingly difficult to explain, too.
 Yep!

 Oh boy, you should hear my Papa!
... and I LOVE it! I especially miss the TexMex from back home!

Hope y'all enjoyed them. A lot of the ones on her site apply to the South in general, but there are a LOT that are very specific to Texas! Man, I just can’t wait to head home on Thursday. Those 457 miles will fly by, as long as I know I’m heading back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment